Tuesday, September 7, 2010

P-A-R-K

Toni and I often have to spell out words so that Anna doesn't understand them. One of those words is park. If Anna hears you say park, she insists on going to one.

Tonight we actually did go to the park just across the street from our house after dinner. Toni had gotten Anna to wear pigtails, so she looked something like Boo, from Monsters, Inc.


She was at her bossiest and cutest, constantly telling me exactly what I was supposed to do, such as, "You come up here on the ladder and then go down the slide with me." Toni, looking good in a dress shirt and soccer shorts (because she is almost nine months pregnant), sat on the bench and watched us play. She would go down the slide, but only if I was holding both of her hands. Anna even treated us to her favorite game, wherein she begins to sing her ABC's, and then says some random object instead of one of the letters—for example, "A-B-C-D-E-F. . . truck!"—followed, always, by uproarious laughter.

By dusk, we had conquered the slides and the ladders, and Anna acquiescently allowed us to walk home without a tantrum—a rare treat for mommy and daddy after a trip to the p-a-r-k.

2 comments:

  1. to be clear, I did not go down the slides with or without holding hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. A classic case of antecedent-pronoun disagreement.

    ReplyDelete